Friday, November 23, 2007

Humanitarian Service - Thanksgiving

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:18:56
Family-
Yesterday was pretty much amazing. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke to us about returning from a mission and how we are supposed to teach while on missions. He told us exactly how preach my gospel came about and it is a really cool story that I'll tell you about when I have more time. Thanksgiving dinner was fairly decent. After we ate we made 10,000 first aid kits for the humanitarian department of the church. Brother Flake from that department spoke to us of the good that the church does in the world. He showed us video clips of the church delivering wheelchairs in Africa and in other parts of the world. When they gave an African man his wheel chair he began to shout, "we can fly now!" It wasn't long before the majority of the people were chanting those words together. One of the video clips showed the damage done in Sri Lanka by the tidal wave a few years ago and a few stories were told about lost loved ones and the reconstruction that the church is helping with. He also showed a video clip of the devastation cause by hurricane Katrina and Rita. He told us that one woman came up to in him in response to receiving a hygiene kit and said, "I'm afraid that this mormon soap has washed the baptist right off of me." His talk was extremely heart warming and inspiring. After he finished talking we started on the first aid kits. At 8:30 President Boone spoke to us about gratitude and allowed 30 or 40 sisters and elders to come and tell what they were grateful for. An Elder from England said that he like the whole concept known as thanksgiving. It was interesting to hear what people are thankful for. I can tell you I'm thankful for a family filled with wonderful people and that we are all strong members of the church of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I'm thankful for all of your wonderful examples. Especially my older brothers that had enough courage and conviction to go on mission and bring others unto Christ. I'm thankful for the post office and the mail they deliver....UGH HMMM! Also the internet that allows us to communicate much quicker....UGH HMMM!! I know that the only true happiness we can find here on earth is through living the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love you all. Forward this please if you haven't.

No comments: