Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Strikes, cold weather in Belgrano

Well we had transfers today and I'm still in Belgrano with Elder Patton. We are pretty happy to have another transfer together. I hope to have a baptism this transfer. I don't know if you all know about the strikes that are going on down here. The government decided to raise taxes on something and now there are a bunch of truck routes cut off by the farmers. We were told by Pres. Shakespeare to have a week supply of food storage. The prices on the foods will most likely start to rise. They are all ready running low on gasoline. It's a very interesting time to be in Argentina. Because of all this we had transfers a day early so that people might have a better chance of making it to their new areas. It is difficult to travel with random route cut offs. We are hoping that Pres. Shakespeare with be able to make it to his final zone conference this next Friday. The work has picked up here in Belgrano. We found a man yesterday that was an investigator about 2 years ago. He remembers a lot of what the missionaries taught. When we first spoke with him he said that he wasn't sure if he wanted to be Mormon but that he would like to start investigating again. My companion and I are praying that this is his time and that we are prepared to bring the spirit into his life so the spirit can touch him. Hopefully the families that are coming down don't have any problems bringing the package through customs. I doubt they will. The cold weather is pretty much here and it is making it hard to speak with people at night. I've come to find that it is much harder to be excited to work when it is freezing cold outside. I have no idea how Darren and Danny did it. I can't think of anything crazy exciting that has happened recently so this will be the end of my letter. I love you all and hope all is well. Hasta Luego (Until Later),

Elder Hunsaker

Mother Hen's Input:

Dear family & friends,

I read about the strike a while back. The government placed a higher tax on the export of soybeans and sunflower seed products. The whole world is dealing with the inflated prices of grains, etc. We have alternative fuels and floods that are affecting our prices. If you want to learn more about the strike there, I found this reason article that shows the escalation of this problem. MOM

Argentina farm strike flares again after crackdown

No comments: