Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Laundry in a bucket

Well, as you can see from the pictures I am living right on the border of Paraguay. Asunción is about 30 minutes from here and the members can attend the temple for a total of 6 pesos. It is really cheap and yet we don't have any endowed members. I am working on that one right now.

It rained yesterday and drop the temperature down a few degrees. The streets turned to mud and that was fun especially now that I have to wash my clothes in a bucket while I shower. haha. My comp just stomps on his clothes while they are in the bucket. I'm not sure it does the job well enough. Maybe I'll just buy a little washing machine for 350 pesos. I think it would be well worth it for the time that I will spend here in this area washing my clothes by hand or foot. I'm sure I could sell it to someone when I leave in 9 months.

This Sunday we have district conference and I will be playing the piano for the choir that will sing. The choir is quite a funny little group of people. There is one guy that doesn't know he is tone deaf and likes to sing real loud. The rest just try to get along with the piano and the rhythm.

I have done my first little interview with our only attending priest. He wants to get his Duty to God award so I am now working with him on it. We have a laurel that was recently baptized that is about to finish her young women's award "thingy". I will be recognizing her in sacrament meeting in two weeks. I never thought I'd be doing Bishop Beards job.

The people here are a lot more friendly. They let you into their house really fast. We just say baptism and all of them want it...well almost all. One 19 year old boy asked if he could be baptized this Sunday after only asking him if the missionaries had spoken of baptism before. It worries be a little bit when the people are that accepting. I told him with a little preparation and a lot of church attendance he could be baptized.

We passed by on of our investigators the other day only to find her slightly drunk. When told her we couldn't teach her in the state she was in, she put out her hand and asked for forgiveness. She continued to do that for about 5 minutes. I shook the woman's hand about 10 times. I completely hate alcohol and what it does to people. It is in abundance here and anyone can buy it. They sell wine in little cardboard cartons. There only 2.60 pesos and there is no control. It is ridiculous how much the men drink.

That is all for this week. Things are going well. We have an air conditioning unit in our bedroom so the heat doesn't effect me at night. My companion Elder Robertson from Green River, Utah loves the machine and puts it on timer so that it is pumping when we get home. He has be out in the mission for about 10 months. He speaks some Spanish but isn't completely there. He reminds me of Jared. He is a funny fellow. The other day we went to a less active to talk with her. She had some grapes growing on the side of her house in the same fashion as in Belgrano. I asked her if they were ripe and she cut some off to try them. My comp tried them and told her they weren't ripe. He then threw them above the grapes to get rid of them. When they landed above the plant they fell through and the woman thought that they just fell from the plant. She picked them up and said that maybe those ones were ripe and made me try them. I couldn't help but laugh when she brought them over to me to try for the second time. If this wasn't funny, it is just one of those things you have to be there for.

That is all for this week. Love you all. Chau

Elder Hunsaker




No comments: