Wednesday, December 24, 2008

FELIZ NAVIDAD!

The weather outside is frightful but the AC is so delightful. Since there´s no place to go. I´d
wish it´d snow, yes let´s go, let it snow. I think it is wonderful that even Vegas has snow. We have hot humid air because it rained yesterday. It is so different being in a hot place for christmas.

Yesterday I finished a one more interview for tithing settlements. The reason why I only did one yesterday was due to the rain. One sister came because she didn´t want to stand me up like she did the week before. She came into the building completely soaked from head to toe. We didn´t have towels in the chapel so she dried herself off with the paper towels in the bathroom. I felt so bad for her. I really wished she would have stayed home. She told me that the rain started when she was in the bus. She walk two blocks from the bus stop and was soaked.

It is very interesting being the one that marks if they are whole tithe payers or partial or non tithe payers. I get to read scriptures with them and talk about tithing. One sister told me of an experience that she had with tithing. She said that when she was new in the church she didn´t pay her tithing. She told me about how she started to pay her tithing. She said that one day she was at home with her kids and they didn´t have a single thing to eat and were in bad shape. The
missionaries called her and invited her to go to a meeting that night. She told them no because she was upset and because she didn´t want to abandon her kids with nothing to eat. The missionaries insisted and so she went to the meeting. After the meeting the elders told he to go with them to their home. When they got home they handed an envelope to her and told her not to open it until she got home. She ran home thinking that their was money inside of the envelope. When she got home she found that their wasn´t money in there but rather a pamphlet that spoke about tithing. She threw the envelope and the pamphlet on the ground and laid on her bed thinking of what she wanted to do to those two elders. While she was on the bed the spirit told her she should read the pamphlet. She read the pamphlet and decided to test heavenly father like it said in the booklet. She told me that the first month paying tithing she had enough money for everything and had a little left over to help someone else. She has a very strong testimony on tithing and is a really cool lady. It was fun to hear stories like this one from the other members that I interviewed.

I´ve been forgetting to tell you all that there are tons of mango trees here and with the tree comes the fruit. I have eaten my fair share of mangos in my time here. They have all sorts of fruits here in clorinda. The people like to make smoothies with pineapple, oranges, mangos, bananas, and whatever else they can find. I still have tried a watermelon but I will be eating one before the season ends.



Our branch did a little nativity play for us the other day. It was funny. They made the costumes from the school uniforms that they use here.


Right outside of our pensión there are a ton of spiders and I decided that you all should see them. One was coming from the group and almost landed on me. I hate these things and they are everywhere.




I have a lot more photos that I will just send separately because I don´t want to use openoffice anymore. I don´t like it at all. I hope that everyone has a good christmas tomorrow and I´ll hear from you soon. Les amo. Chau
Elder Hunsaker

No comments: