Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Greenie Stage Begins

Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:49:02
Okay so this will be short because I don,t have much time this week. My p days are on Wednesdays. My trainer is Elder Patterson from Orem, Utah. He's a good elder. He goes home in 3 months so I have to keep him from getting trunky. The weather is ridiculously hot and humid here. Inside my mission there are 5 states Formosa, Chaco, Corrientes, Santa Fe, and Misiones. I am in Misiones in a suburb called Santa Clara on the outskirts of the big city Posadas. The dirt in Misiones is that red dirt that we thought I'd have. My apt. is called a pensión (pench for short) it is small. There should be pictures attached. My ears are starting to separate the words when people speak but i still don't understand all the words the use. My area is supposedly one of the tougher ones for baptisms. My comp and I clapped a house two days ago and got a new investigator to teach. We taught the first lesson and we are going back this Friday. It is really fun talking and getting to know these people. The dish that people serve most is milonesa which is just breaded chick or steak. It is simply all right. I drink about 2 liters of water each day. I can't wait to understand what people are saying. It was nice to talk to most of the fam. I love you all. Talk to you next Miércoles/Wednesday (there is your spanish word for the week).
Love, Elder Hunsaker

Tricia's additions from wikipedia:
Misiones is one of the 23 provinces of Argentina, located in the northeastern corner of the country in the Mesopotamia region. It is surrounded by Paraguay to the northwest, Brazil to the north and east, and Corrientes Province of Argentina to the southwest.

Population:
There are 965,522 people living in Misiones. Majority of the residents of Misiones are descendants of immigrants. Unlike many regions of Argentina where the immigrants came through Buenos Aries, most of the immigrants that settled in Misiones came through Southern Brazil. The ethnic groups that settled in Misiones are Italians, Germans, Spaniards, Poles, Ukrainians, French, Swiss, Russians, Swedes, Danes, Arabs, and Japanese.

Economy:
The major contribution to the province's economy comes from the jungle, particularly tourism and logging. The principal exploited trees are the Paraná pine, Guatambú, Cedar, Petiribí, Incense, Cane water-pipe, Anchico, Eucalyptus and Gueycá. Another source of income is the cultivation of yerba mate, tea and, in minor amounts, tobacco, sugar cane, rice and coffee. Cattle production is rare.

Its illiteracy rate is 8.6%.


No comments: